Daughter arrested police took car

Asked about 1 year ago - Albany, NY

Aunt bought car and insured. Car was titled and reg by daughter so if she was In an accident etc. aunt couldn't be sued. Can my aunt put a lien on the car to get it back from police? No drugs nothing was found in the car. Nothing.

1. Brian Andrew Trodden

4

Answered . It really depends on where this occurred and why the police took the car. Many counties in New York have local statutes that permit them to sieze vehicles and keep them following a forfeiture hearing if they are used in the commision of a crime. This is most prevalent following DWI and drug sale or possession arrests. Many times the police seize cars and hold onto them as evdience in a criminal proceeding. Vehicle owners are entitled to a hearing before a judge in either instance. Was there an accdient, and was your daughter injured?

2. Effimia Soter

3

Answered . Have your daughter go and have the car taken out of the pound. She is the registered owner of the vehicle and will be responsible for paying fees

This response will not create an attorney-client relationship.

Pro

4

Answered . Have the daughter get the car out.

4. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

4

Answered . The regustered owner can go and pay storage charges and get the car out. Best of luck.

5. Merry Melinda Fountain

Pro

3

Answered . I agree. The aunt can get her car out since she is the owner but the daughter should be responsible for any costs.

6. Marco Caviglia

Pro

1

Answered . Your facts indicate that the aunt has no standing on the ownership of the car, and you are silent as to her having a lien on the title, which would be indicated on the title itself. So she will not be able to take the car without the consent of the daughter, acting as the daughter's agent. Aside from that, it seems the police are holding the car as evidence. She can get the car released after a 30 day demand upon the DA, if there is a prosecution in progress, but that assumes that the car itself is not evidence or that it is subject to forfeiture, in which case RICO type statutes in NY apply. Often, the prosecution will insist on forfeiture of a vehicle if the defendant pleads guilty to a crime that is drug related. That can vary, and her defense counsel could be on top of that.