Danny was hired in October by Diakon Logistics (ohio) and was working up to 12/05/2012 when he was termintated due to an

Asked over 1 year ago - Pickerington, OH

accident that was his fault. When he went in for his paycheck today they stated that because he was terminated they need to make sure no claims were filed against him. He was a driver/home delivery for Diakon. The accident is covered under insurance. They said he has to wait 15 days before they will give him any money for his work prior to this accident. What are our rights? They said because he signed a contract that he has to wait for his check.

1. Peter Stephen Kirner

6

Answered . I agree...request the check and contract in writing. If the contract sets forth such terms, then he is bound by them. Not sure what the delay may be. Good luck.

2. Mark Wayne Napier

5

Answered . Danny should promptly schedule a consultation with a employment law local attorney. The attorney may be able to negotiate favorable terms for the termination. The company might pay the check promptly, allow the termination to be changed to a layoff, and not oppose a claim for unemployment benefits if he is arguably an employee, not an independent contractor. And yes, the first thing is to get a copy of the contract he allegedly signed. And, get a copy of the employee handbook. Best regards!

3. Kevin Coluccio

5

1

Answered . Request the contract. You should demand the paycheck in writing and indicate that the money is being wrongfully withheld.

4. Robert Bruce Kopelson

4

Answered . Every state has its own law on this. You should check with your State Labor dept. There may be rules that upon termination, final pay and accrued benefits must be paid w/in a certain time.

5. Michael Shemtoub

2

Answered . I would suggest he read the contract to see if that is correct. If he does not have a copy of the contract he can request one in writing. He can also contact the labor board to see if they can help him
    Good Luck
    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com

www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference