Damage to real property due to drunk driver, under TX law can I sue driver to get back deposit money lost to landlord

Asked over 6 years ago - Lake Jackson, TX

I was renting a house that an insured drunk driver struck and damaged, and subsequently moved becuase of the incident. I ended up losing my deposit on the house and spent money moving myself to a safe home. Can I recoupe my losses and expenses from the insurance or through a civil suit?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Provided the lost deposit was caused as a result of the drunk driver, you should be able to recover your deposit from the landlord and/or the drunk driver and his insurance carrier. File a lawsuit in your local justice or smaill claims court in the county where the property is located.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,668 answers this week

3,920 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,668 answers this week

3,920 attorneys answering