Skip to main content

DACA eligibility

Chicago, IL |

If there is a petition for status adjustment on track, from a parent for a child, and the child is DACA eligible can he apply for the work permit? He had previously received a work permit because of the petition but his residency has not yet been approved. The work permit will expire soon but he fulfills all requirements for DACA. Can his petition stop him from applying?

His father is petitioning through his spouse who is not his biological mother. Do these kinds of cases take longer than if it was a biological parent petitioning? Is he at risk of being deported?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You really need to talk to an immigration attorney. Much ... much ... much more information and details are needed.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Generally, there is no prohibition against filing for DACA and adjustment of status, but filing DACA when teh adjustment is pending may not be necessary.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.


If a person is eligible for DACA, they can file for DACA and get a work permit.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko


That is legally impossible to state eligibility without doing a review of that case.


The father's petition will not keep the son applying for DACA work extension. There is no processing difference between biological parent and adopted parent. The son is not in deportation risk.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer