Daca and voluntary departure in 2010

San Diego, CA |

Hi I was stopped by border patrol August of 2010 while working and I got taken into their office and I signed a voluntary departure. I came back two weeks after without inspection and I was wondering if I can apply for the deferred action. I have been in the US my whole life and I have 2 kids now. I meet all the requirements except that I have that voluntary departure.

There is a lot information missing. Time of initial entry, your age, marital status, etc. You should definitely consult with a good lawyer in your area.

I am 25 years old. I have been in San Diego since I was 2 years old (1990) I have a clean record. The only thing that I'm worried about is about the voluntary departure. Does it interrupt my continues residence?

Boris Alexander Palant

Boris Alexander Palant

usually when the absence is short it may be considered as "innocent" and forgiven. But you may have a gamut of problems including being placed in removal proceedings. Honestly, in my practice (almost 30 years) I have not encountered a situation like yours which means that some legal research might be in order. Therefore you must retain a good lawyer who will do the necessary research if her doesn't know the answers.

Yes

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

The voluntary departure won't be a problem?

That departure may have interrupted the continuous residence requirement. Worth setting up a consultation with experienced attorney.

Due to the nature of this forum, I often do not have all the information required to provide legal advice. Accordingly, my responses on Avvo are intended as general and not legal advice.