Czech and US dual citizenship

Asked about 2 years ago - San Marcos, CA

I gained my permanent residncy through The Green card lottery program in June 2007. I married a US citizen in January 2009. I am a Czech citizen and I would like to apply for US citizenship. I want to keep my Czech citizenship as well. According to Czech law, I can't keep my Czech citizenship if I want to aquire US citizenship with only one exception, if I aquired my foreign citizenship through marriage. Would you please advise if I would be able to keep my Czech citizenship since I am married to US citizen now? Thank you

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . You can acquire a green card through marriage, but not US citizenship.

2. Robert West

1

Answered . This question is best answered by a Czech lawyer but it does not sound like you can do it based on the information that you provided.

3. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

Answered . If you apply for lawful permanent resident status, remain in the U.S., and never apply for naturalization, then you can retain your Czech Citizenship. If you leave the U.S. with the intention of not returning and stay away for six months, then this may result in the loss of lawful permanent resident status.

If you wish to keep your lawful permanent resident status, then you need to consider whether you should become a naturalized U.S. Citizen or apply for a re-entry permit. A foreigner may lose their lawful permanent resident green card status if they remain outside the U.S. too long.

If you have concerns, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.