CYBER CRIMES - how can I get the police involved?

Asked over 1 year ago - Boulder, CO

Someone has been using the internet for cyber crimes, including impersonating someone, harassment, stalking, telling lies, accusing someone of being a sex predator, a thief, and describing their physical attributes in a demeaning way. And that's just a few things. The person doing this lives in LosAngeles, but I don't. What can I do????

1. Robert John Murillo

3

Answered . I am sorry, but none of this sounds like criminal matters. These are likely civil claims and you will have to speak with an attorney in LA to file claims in an LA court for this to stop. You can certainly talk to the police or prosecutors but I doubt they would consider any of these as criminal claims. Good luck.

2. Edward C. Hopkins Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . CRIMINAL STATUTES

The behavior you described could have violated Colorado criminal statutes. Review the following statutes at http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado and report all the reliable evidence you have that someone has violated any of these statutes to your local law enforcement agency.

C.R.S. § 18-3-207. Criminal extortion - aggravated extortion
    C.R.S. § 18-3-602. Stalking
    C.R.S. § 18-5-113. Criminal impersonation
    C.R.S. § 18-5-902. Identity theft

STUDENT BULLYING

You should also review C.R.S. § 22-32-109.1(b), which is quoted below, to determine if the wrongful conduct you described is student bullying that might require a school to take action to stop it.

C.R.S. § 22-32-109.1(b): "Bullying" means any written or verbal expression, or physical or electronic act or gesture, or a pattern thereof, that is intended to coerce, intimidate, or cause any physical, mental, or emotional harm to any student. Bullying is prohibited against any student for any reason, including but not limited to any such behavior that is directed toward a student on the basis of his or her academic performance or against whom federal and state laws prohibit discrimination upon any of the bases described in section 22-32-109 (1) (ll) (I). This definition is not intended to infringe upon any right guaranteed to any person by the first amendment to the United States constitution or to prevent the expression of any religious, political, or philosophical views.

CIVIL CLAIMS

If you were the victim of this wrongful conduct, you might have viable civil claims for defamation, invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress, or negligence. A Colorado attorney who practices defamation or invasion of privacy law should be able to advise you on your legal options and the costs of pursuing each option.

3. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

2

Answered . The police are unlikely to get involved unless: 1) You have threatened with physical harm; or 2) You have been scammed out of money.

What you describe can be stopped through civil litigation, but you will need a lawyer.