Custody rights

Asked 5 months ago - Portland, OR

The mother of my son is taking him out of the state to live. We had an agreement the he'd live with me during the school year and would visit her for the summer. However she changed her mind and is now wanting him full time. Do I have any rights? We were never married.

1. Jay Bodzin

3

Answered . It's not quite clear from your description whether or not you have a judgment of custody and parenting time, on file with a court, that governs custody of this child. If you don't have one, then you need one - your "agreement" is meaningless unless it's enforced by a court. If you do have one - or if you get one - then it should say that neither parent may move the child more than 60 miles further distant from the other without permission of the other parent or order of the court.

It seems most likely that you don't have such a judgment, so if you want to keep your child around, you'll have to file a petition immediately to get one. At the time of filing, you can ask the court to issue a 'temporary protective order of restraint' that will require both parents to keep following the same daily schedule for the child that you've been observing for the past 3 months. This will keep them in the state while the court works out a judgment that states what rights each of you have. You should consult in private with an attorney for assistance in this, as soon as you can.

Please read the following notice:

2. Diane L Gruber

Pro

2

Answered . Of course you have rights. If your son has been living with you, you have a good chance of being awarded custody. Your next step is to take your judgment or agreement to a custody attorney to discuss your options. Good luck, Diane PS: Many judges are reluctant to allow a child to move out of state, away from the other parent.

3. Dennis Myron Leavitt

Pro

1

Answered . Of course you have rights, but you need to go to Court to enforce them. You need to consult with a good child custody lawyer in your area on Monday to discuss your options. Don't wait. You need to move quickly!!