Skip to main content

Custody of a 16 year old

Oshkosh, WI |

I just was granted custody of 2 of my 3 children. The 2 are 10 and 14 years old. The 3rd is 16. The GA told the court my 16 year old wanted to remain where he was. That in fact was not true. He is now devistated that he cannot live with me and his sibblings. Can he just leave and live with me or will I be charged with parental kidnapping? He is going to refuse to return home this weekend and I would like to enrole him in school in my community.
Thanks so much,

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This is an unfortunate situation.

Generally if the child leaves the court ordered residence, he will be a run away and police reports will be generated. If you do not force him to return then you will likely be hit with contempt orders and the police will be unhappy with you. Yes, people have been charged with violations about these sort of issues.

If the order is more than 2 years old it can be brought back into court, but it must be in the best interest of the child. A problem child is not going to be viewed positively when making that request.

Sorry your having these problems.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer