Custody

Springfield, IL |

I have full custody of my daughter and I was needing advice! My question is what are the stipulations on moving? How far can I move without consulting a judge? I'm wanting to be closer to work which is 50miles from my current address!

You are entitled to move anywhere within the state, provided there is no restriction in any court order.

Roger William Stelk

Roger William Stelk

However, it would probably not be wise to move so far that the non-custodial parent's visitation is made impossible.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

visits will not be impossible if the custodian moves. they may need to be modified.

You can pack up and move but that will almost certainly trigger a re-working of the parenting schedule and can also be grounds to re-open the custody case (seeking a modification of custody). It's not necessarily a simple thing. I know you've considered all this but the relocation removes the child from school, friends, family, social networks, activities, etc., and that can weigh heavily for a court in some cases.

You're right about one thing: you need advice. Hire an attorney.

My daughter is only a 1 year old so there's no school or friends yet and I've had custody since march of last year and the mother has made no attempts to come get her on her every other weekend nor did she show up for court for the custody hearing! I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get in trouble for moving closer to my job and that if my ex wife got a sudden urge to be vengeful that she couldn't get me in trouble for moving

Wes Cowell

Wes Cowell

So pack up and move. You're not going to get in trouble. She may want to revise the parenting schedule . . . but given her lackluster performance under it, it sounds like it needs revising, anyway.

As the custodial parent our legislature has given you the sole and full right to move anywhere within the boundaries of the state of Illinois. It is not for anyone to tell you, advise you, or suggest otherwise including lawyers. Your moves is your owm personal business and choice. You do not have to feel bad about it or be chastised into changing your mind. Most likely moving closer to work will benefit your daughter since you should have more time with her and for her. You should check your divorce papers just to be sure there is no mention with regards to moving. Depending on the age of your daughter you can always take her to counseling to help with any adjustment anxiety she might get as a result of the move. Your ex can file to modify visitation due to the move I suggest you two agree to mediate that subject instead of running up legal fees. Good luck!

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz

*Your move is your own personal business and choice.

Child custody topics