Skip to main content


Springfield, IL |

I have full custody of my daughter and I was needing advice! My question is what are the stipulations on moving? How far can I move without consulting a judge? I'm wanting to be closer to work which is 50miles from my current address!

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You are entitled to move anywhere within the state, provided there is no restriction in any court order.

  2. You can pack up and move but that will almost certainly trigger a re-working of the parenting schedule and can also be grounds to re-open the custody case (seeking a modification of custody). It's not necessarily a simple thing. I know you've considered all this but the relocation removes the child from school, friends, family, social networks, activities, etc., and that can weigh heavily for a court in some cases.

    You're right about one thing: you need advice. Hire an attorney.

  3. As the custodial parent our legislature has given you the sole and full right to move anywhere within the boundaries of the state of Illinois. It is not for anyone to tell you, advise you, or suggest otherwise including lawyers. Your moves is your owm personal business and choice. You do not have to feel bad about it or be chastised into changing your mind. Most likely moving closer to work will benefit your daughter since you should have more time with her and for her. You should check your divorce papers just to be sure there is no mention with regards to moving. Depending on the age of your daughter you can always take her to counseling to help with any adjustment anxiety she might get as a result of the move. Your ex can file to modify visitation due to the move I suggest you two agree to mediate that subject instead of running up legal fees. Good luck!

    IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics