Skip to main content

Custodial parent wants to move 2 hour away and my husband has visitation every other weekend.

Waukegan, IL |

my husband has to pickup his daughter every other weekend and he drives 1.5 hours there and then 1.5 hours back to pick her up and drop her off. Now his ex wants to move further away. Is ther any way we can meet half way or have her pick up her daughter?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


He should try to get his ex to agree to modify visitation to provide for a halfway meeting point or else he should go to court and prevent move.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


I don't think you'll need to go nuclear, yet. Honestly, this is a common situation. A letter from an attorney informing her that court action will be taken if she moves should be sufficient to get her to agree to 50/50 travel.

Taking this approach before filing keeps relations cooler, is more cost effective, and faster. Naturally if this fails, I would argue that'll you'll need to bring this to the court's attention vis a vis a petition.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer