Skip to main content

Currently separated, not legally. Relocating to 2 different states. Will legal separation in WA make divorce difficult later?

Vancouver, WA |

We are currently separated after 21 years. If we get a legal separation in WA before we both relocate to different states, will one or both of us have to return to WA to get divorced if we decide to do so in the future?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you get a legal separation in WA, six months from the date the court signs the order of legal separation (no waiting period, by the way), either of you can move the court to convert the legal separation to a divorce. If you agree, neither of you have to go to court, if you have an attorney assist you. There is no new filing fee to convert the legal separation to a divorce. If all the terms of your divorce are in the legal separation, the only thing left for the court to do is enter the order converting the legal separation to a divorce decree. Very simple!

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer