Currently Renting but looking into buying a home

Kissimmee, FL |

If you are in the state of Florida and are currently renting a home, if you purchase a home, are you legally responsible for the remainder of the lease? I have heard there is a law that says if you buy a home you are not accountable.

Attorney Fucillo is correct. You are obligated to fulfill the conditions under the lease agreement. If there is no buy-out or early termination clause, then you are bound to be responsible for the remainder of the rent. Sorry, there is no such law.

You can try to negotiate an early termination buy-out or you can give notice that you are not renewing and then move at the end of the lease.

If the landlord is not repairing items that he is responsible for, you can send a letter to him stating exactly what needs repairs and giving him seven days to fix them from the time he receives the letter or you will begin withholding rent or consider the lease terminated. If you do decide to consider the lease terminated once he misses the deadline, be prepared to move out, clean, and turn over keys to him.

Good luck!

2. Yes, if you entered into a written lease you are responsible for the full term of the lease. If you are paying month to month and have no specific term, either party (landlord or tenant) can terminate the lease by providing written notice to the other party not less than 15 days prior to the end of the month. If you decide to purchase a house, it has nothing to do with any prior contractual commitments you may have entered.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

3. My colleagues are correct. Your purchase of a house is independent of your obligations under your lease agreement.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.