Currently on S.S. Disability and being sued by Midland Funding LLC on behalf of Wells Fargo Bank . Can they take my only support

Asked 9 months ago - Sacramento, CA

My SS benefits are just enough for me to survive on. What can I do to stop this Law suit and not lose my only source of income ? Thank You

1. Kelvin P. Green

4

Answered . They can sue you, can get a judgment, and enforce it...

2. Kelvin P. Green

4

3. Jeremy Lyle Bordelon

Pro

5

Answered . They could theoretically take anything else from you (that wasn't also protected by law), but they can't take your Social Security disability benefits. According to Social Security law (42 U.S.C. Sec. 407) Social Security benefits can't be garnished at all. There are a few exceptions elsewhere in federal law, allowing governmental entities to take money when a debt is owed to them (for government-guaranteed student loans, for child support, for back taxes, etc.), but I don't know of any exceptions that allow a private party (like Midland/Wells Fargo) to take an individual's Social Security benefits.

4. D K Kevin Dugan

5

Answered . No they can't take your SS benefits if you follow the rules. Make sure only the SS benefits are in your bank account. Make sure the bank knows that is an account that only contains SS benefits (no more than 2 months worth).

The information you obtain from this website is not legal advice.
  5. Charles R Smith

3

Answered . Your answer will be governed by the relevant exemption laws. I do not think they can garnish more than a small percentage of your benefits, if at all. Your question was posted under the "LLC" practice area, so I suggest you re-post in another section to get a better answer. You could also call a bankruptcy attorney as they are likely to know. Be sure to file a timely Answer to the lawsuit and make them prove the debt as well as who owns it, especially since it sounds like you did not borrow from Midland. Good luck.

6. Armen Michael Tashjian

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with Messrs. Bordelon and Dugan. Your SS benefits are exempt and cannot be garnished.