Skip to main content

Currently on OPT, valid 1-20, expired F1 visa. Can I re-enter the US with a valid b1/b2 visa?

El Paso, TX |

I am currently working under OPT. I am planning on taking a 2 week vacation to Europe, but my F1 visa is expired, can I re-enter the US as a b1/b2 tourist (I had that visa before I became a student) and keep on working with OPT upon my return?

I have heard that "automatic revalidation" of F1 visa only applies to contiguous territory and adjacent islands, so that is the reason I was thinking on re-entering the US as a tourist.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


if you are in OPT then you do not need a visitor visa, you should be able to get a new stamp to return to the u.s.

Please be advised this answer is for informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been formed. You should also see a local attorney for legal advise before acting on any of the statements given to you online as there may be aspects of your case that are not obvious by the question asked online.


Please see the response to your other question.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer