Skip to main content

Currently on a 3yr L1 visa. Is it possible to change status to permanent resident without company consent. I have the funds.

Indianapolis, IN |

I'm not asking for the company to financially sponsor my application but do I need their consent? We dont want to return to our country of origin due to many political and safety concerns. We feel moving back to our country will be a financial risk for our family. Cost of living has soared and we fear with 3 kids we may not be able to be able to provide a good quality of life for them.

Attorney Answers 4


A foreign national can apply for residency based on familial relationship, employment, investment or lottery. On what basis do you believe you will qualify. If you are lost, the best approach would be to talk to an immigration attorney and see the avenues available to you.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree

1 comment



I would qualify under EB 1C. Can I as an L1 A apply L 140 as alien and not through my employer?


To immigrate, you need a qualifying family based or employment based petitioner.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


Yes, if you seen investment rout.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


Not though this employer but there may be the investment green card option for you since you say you have the funds. There are different criteria for that but possible. Talk to an attorney. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics