Currently in the state of Nevada, Does confidentiality agreement or non-disclosure (NDA) need to be notarized to be in effect?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sparks, NV

So I am currently going to college, but the information I want to release to my school is extremely confidential to me. I was wondering can I make them sign a confidentiality contract or non-disclosure contract in order for my insurance. Does it have to be notarized?

1. Alicia G. Johnson

Pro

3

Answered . A confidentiality clause or nondisclosure agreement need not be notarized in Nevada to be effective. Whether the college will sign it really depends on the circumstances, but student records are not public records.

2. John P Corrigan

2

Answered . Usually notary signatures are for real estate deeds, loan documents (pertaining to real estate), court affidavits and similar court documents...but not ordinary contracts of the type you speak to.

As for the confidentiality agreement, that would be voluntary on the School's part. You have told us nothing about why the issue even arises to get a sense of whether you are being disciplined and are now defending yourself or it is for some other matter that is not interfering with your rights to privacy, etc. Consider whether the school can simply expel you for failure to cooperate? If this is a serious matter then you need to see a lawyer who is conversant in defending college students for charges of the type I allude to but can only speculate is the underlying issue here. Good luck.

3. Robert John Murillo

1

Answered . You are certainly free to ask if they will sign this agreement. I think the chances of them agreeing to do so are pretty much slim to none. I can't speak with NV law on notarization, but I don't know any state the requires notarization on these types of contracts.