Currently I'm involved a case for grand larceny the sum of about $1,200. Could I face jail time? It's my first offense ever.

Asked over 1 year ago - Jamaica, NY

The amount is completely off.I was under a lot of stress when the person came to talk about it. I suffer from cryonic sinus headaches.I had a very bad one at the time, in which case makes me just want to get through whatever it is.Therefore I had signed a paper or two under distress, as not being in the proper mindset, in which they added much more than it was. Initially I started the payment plan back but last minute changed their mind.They did return the money. I want to fight the amount cause it should be well under.I've longed to finish school and pursue my career. Could I face jail time? Or maybe just pay them back? Also they were supposed to look into others but didn't. I felt a bit singled out that they blamed me for more than it should've.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Jail is not likely. However, proving the true amount is critical to what the outcome may be. Grand Larceny is a felony so in your case the DA might offer you a plea to petit larceny, a misdemeanor. However, if the amount is less than $1,000 it is only petit larceny to begin with and you could get offered a non-criminal outcome. I suggest you retain a good criminal defense lawyer. Feel free to check out my bio and testimonials on my web site and contact me.

2. Marco Caviglia

2

Answered . Your criminal attorney may be able to get a reduction to a petit larceny with restitution, or perhaps even less with restitution. Fighting the amount is only productive/necessary if you are not going to get a reduced charge, and you should consult an experienced criminal attorney.

3. Ronald Steven Nir

1

Answered . You need to seek a competent criminal defense attorney to discuss the various aspects of your case and advise what to do & how to go about resolving this matter. A good attorney may be able to nip this in the bud and ensure no jail term.

The advice I have given does not bind the parties in any manner and is merely given as a courtesy.