Currently I live on child support and spousal suppose and actively looking for job. However I

need to rent a bigger place to live. Is it possible I rent house from my relatives and live there with my kids only. She doesn't want deposits or check my credit score. I just have to pay bills and make monthly rentals. My concern if it does make lower my monthly support, because I rent it from my relatives? When I rent house I have to pay more.

Vista, CA -

Jeffrey B. Peltz

Jeffrey B. Peltz

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

If the child support and spousal support has already been granted, that is the amount that your spouse must pay. In order to change it, your spouse would need to go back to court and ask for a change based upon a change in circumstances. The child support wouldn't be effected. The spousal support may be effect, but probably unlikely. You should consult with your divorce attorney or another experience local attorney.

Sponsored Listing
Michelle Louise Blair

Michelle Louise Blair

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Escondido, CA

If your ex suspects that your monthly expenses have decreased he could file a Request For Order to modify support. However, even if your monthly expenses have decreased does not mean that your support will be deceased because the court considers a variety of factors when awarding spousal support.

Child support will not be effected if your expenses have decreased. If you need legal representation, feel free to contact our office for free consultation 760-752-4600.

Edna Carroll Straus

Edna Carroll Straus

Family Law Attorney - San Juan Capistrano, CA

I see you posted this question twice. I am not 100% certain, but i seems you are asking if you will be able to keep the status quo as to your child and spousal support if you take on a higher rent. In most cases the answer will be "yes"-- your expenses do not enter into the spousal support or the child support calculations.

Bear in mind that if you do not get work, there may be a time when there will be a change in the spousal support, although one can't tell on the facts given here.