Skip to main content

Currently I live on child support and spousal suppose and actively looking for job. However I

Vista, CA |

need to rent a bigger place to live. Is it possible I rent house from my relatives and live there with my kids only. She doesn't want deposits or check my credit score. I just have to pay bills and make monthly rentals. My concern if it does make lower my monthly support, because I rent it from my relatives? When I rent house I have to pay more.

Attorney Answers 3


If the child support and spousal support has already been granted, that is the amount that your spouse must pay. In order to change it, your spouse would need to go back to court and ask for a change based upon a change in circumstances. The child support wouldn't be effected. The spousal support may be effect, but probably unlikely. You should consult with your divorce attorney or another experience local attorney.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


If your ex suspects that your monthly expenses have decreased he could file a Request For Order to modify support. However, even if your monthly expenses have decreased does not mean that your support will be deceased because the court considers a variety of factors when awarding spousal support.

Child support will not be effected if your expenses have decreased. If you need legal representation, feel free to contact our office for free consultation 760-752-4600.

This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I see you posted this question twice. I am not 100% certain, but i seems you are asking if you will be able to keep the status quo as to your child and spousal support if you take on a higher rent. In most cases the answer will be "yes"-- your expenses do not enter into the spousal support or the child support calculations.

Bear in mind that if you do not get work, there may be a time when there will be a change in the spousal support, although one can't tell on the facts given here.

Ms. Straus (aka Carroll) may be reached at 800-400-8978 during regular business hours, Pacific Time, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are not to be relied upon as a final legal opinion. It may not be what you wished to hear, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Straus is licensed to practice law in California. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state, and retain him or her. Me Straus provides “unbundled” services if you need specific assistance with a specific issue.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics