Currently i am on probation in accordance with the ARD, can i travel to Jamaica for family wedding?

Asked about 2 years ago - West Chester, PA

Probation said yes provided Consulate General of Jamaica says ok. Is there any reason Jamaica would say no? On ARD for dui

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Adam D. Zucker


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You really need to call the Jamaican embassay or consulate and ask that question. Since you are in ARD you have not been convicted and that fact will likely be important to the jamacian government but the smart thing to do is get on the phone with the consulate or search their website.

    This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any... more
  2. Theodore H. Swan Jr.


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The advice given by both answering attorneys is well placed. I don't know why the Jamaican government wold care since you have not be convicted of a crime at this point. However, in an abundance of caution, (and it seems that this is important to the probation dept.) call the Jamaican Consulate and inquire.

  3. Robert C. Keller

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Is probation requiring that you ask Jamaica for permission to enter the Country? This is a very unusual request. Typically, for an ARD case probaion only needs to know where you are going and for how long.

  4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Canada might say "no." Don't know about Jamaica.

    The quickest way to get an answer is to inquire at the Consulate.

    If you are required to register, you need to do it now.
    The statute gives two days to register a change of address.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

    Thank you.

    --- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page

    --- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

    --- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

    If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

    Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

    Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,057 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,057 answers this week

3,356 attorneys answering