Current Visa is expired. Extension applied is approved. Can I apply for EAD for my dependent? Dependent is in L2 Visa.

Houston, TX |

Current Visa on passport is expired. Extension applied is approved and have the approval documents. Can I apply for EAD for my dependent? Dependent is on L2 Visa.

Yes, if the L-2 extension was also approved.

Your dependent will file the I-765 for themselves.

Law Office of Marc Taylor, Esq. PC, www.usavisanow.com, 888-645-6272, info@usavisanow.com , 224 W. 4th Street, Suite 200, New York, NY 10014 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I94 is expired. However, extension filled is approved. Can my dependent still apply for EAD?

If the L2 is in status, then the L2 can apply for an EAD.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

Stephen D. Berman

Stephen D. Berman

If the dependent was granted an extension of status and is still in status, then the dependent can file for an EAD.

What's in the passport isn't important .. the I-94 controls.

Yes, if the I-94 is still valid, then the dependent can file for an EAD .... they take about 90 days.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

If the dependent has a new I-94 ... with a new and-unexpired date ... yes. If all you have is knowledge that the extension was approved (via e-mail, or online) you need to wait for the new I-94 ... it will the lower portion of the actual approval notice.

Yes, if the L2 has been extended also and if the dependent has remaining validity on the L2, your spouse will be approved through the ending validity of the L2. Make certain you include proof that you have maintained your L2 status. (pay slips, W2, etc..)

Stephanie Scarborough

Stephanie Scarborough

If the L2 extension is approved then your spouse received a new I94 at the bottom of the approval showing a new validity period. An EAD can be applied for with that document.