Cruise to Alaska through canada but visa expired valid I-20

Asked over 3 years ago - Lubbock, TX

I am an chinese student holding a F-1 visa. I booked a cruise to alaska from seattle. The only stop aboard is in victoria port in Canada. I can stay in ship. But I was told I have to pass the immigration (or custom) when the ship back to seattle. So, Will there be any problems?

1. Nancy Marcia Vizer

Answered . You need to review this carefully with an attorney, who will look at all of your immigration documents before giving you an answer. You do not want to take a chance on this, and find yourself unable to get back into the United States.

2. Stephanie Scarborough

Answered . I agree with Ms. Vizer. You need to show your documents to an immigration attorney. You will pass through immigration on your return and must have an updated I-20 at that time. You also need to be certain that your stamped F-1 has remaining validity and that you do not need a visa stamping in your passport before taking the cruise.

Please also speak with your International Student Services office to inquire about the update to your I-20 before you depart.