Cruise to Alaska through canada but visa expired valid I-20

Lubbock, TX |

I am an chinese student holding a F-1 visa. I booked a cruise to alaska from seattle. The only stop aboard is in victoria port in Canada. I can stay in ship. But I was told I have to pass the immigration (or custom) when the ship back to seattle. So, Will there be any problems?

1. You need to review this carefully with an attorney, who will look at all of your immigration documents before giving you an answer. You do not want to take a chance on this, and find yourself unable to get back into the United States.

2. I agree with Ms. Vizer. You need to show your documents to an immigration attorney. You will pass through immigration on your return and must have an updated I-20 at that time. You also need to be certain that your stamped F-1 has remaining validity and that you do not need a visa stamping in your passport before taking the cruise.

Please also speak with your International Student Services office to inquire about the update to your I-20 before you depart.

In accordance with Avvo Terms of Use, the information provided herein is not to be considered legal advice and is no replacement for a direct consultation with an Attorney. No attorney-client relationship is established through this correspondence.