Criminal Usury Question in New York - Commerical Loan - Can prepaid interest be included in calculating criminal usury?

Smithtown, NY |

A parent took out a large loan against commercial real estate he owns. The loan is in foreclosure. The interest rate was 16 percent, all prepaid. There was also a prepayment penalty clause. The term was one year. The lender also took 6 origination points. (His broker took 2 points too.) My question is if prepaid interest can be used in calculating criminal usury, which is 25 percent in New York. I believe the Effective Interest Rate is how it is calculated, which appears to be higher than 25 percent IF prepaid interest is included. I know that there is some case law allowing broker's points to be included as well, so any information on that issue would be helpful also.

I should also add that the loan is with a private lender, without a license, and it was for under 2.5 million (but over 250,000).

If the Annual Percentage Rate for the loan exceeds 25% you have a case for criminal usury. This includes all forms of interest, whether prepaid or accrued, and points. If you think the rate exceeds 25% contact the district attorney.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

Thanks, Richard. Much appreciated.