Criminal Record... Ban for Life and getting married.

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My boyfriend has been Banned for Life from the US due to his criminal record. I was wondering if there is anything we can do for him to come back? i know that they do not qualify for any type of relief. :( i just dont want to move to Mexico since i have my whole career here already. Maybe he can get a non immigrant visa?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Peyton Zimmerman Peebles III


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is likely that your only options will be to seek a pardon (almost no chance at all) or petition the court(s) where the criminal case(s) originated for habeas relief. The second option is more likely to be successful than the first, but will still be an uphill battle. Any other attempts to secure immigration authorization to enter will probably be unsuccessful. Feel free to call me or another experienced habeas lawyer to discuss the particular details of your boyfriend's case.

    *** The fact that you solicited advice over a public forum waives any attorney-client privilege thus far. In... more
  2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . I am moving this question to the immigration area of avvo. It is really not a criminal defense question.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more
  3. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . He's not going to get back in the US legally. If he's banned for life there are no visas that would be available to him.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,095 answers this week

2,870 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,095 answers this week

2,870 attorneys answering