Criminal question

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Criminal defense

Can the authority's refuse to issue out a warrant for you and not tell you what the warrant is for?

1. I'm going to edit the practice area of your post to "Criminal Defense" for better exposure.

Ms. Berjis is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

2. If by "authority" you mean the police, then the police normally either issue a warrant or they do not based on the facts of the case, not whether they do want to or refuse to do so. If you ask the police what the warrant says, they may tell you while executing it.

3. The police in NYC generally don't get warrants because it requires filing a complaint in court which prevents them from questioning the defendant.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.