Criminal law or education law question: I forged transcripts for colleges, can my current school expel me?

I just turned 18 and I'm almost about to graduate in June from my high school. I applied to a lot of colleges and sen in fake documents and fake transcripts claiming I was homes hooked and I was accepted. Anyway someone at my real school told the principal and now she wants to expel me. Can she do that even though nothing I did had to do with her school?

Also some of the schools reported this to the police department in their city and state, I'm in Los Angeles, do I need a criminal lawyer or education law attorney!?!

The above should read homeschooled.

Whether or not you committed a Fraud is up in the air (or a Forgery if you attached someone else's name to the documents), so it is possible they may try to prosecute you, but may not be highly probable. I know that is not what you want to hear, because you want something more definitive. There is no way to know that without more information including what was forged, your current school, your behavioral history and what colleges were involved.

As for the expulsion, you do have the right to an expulsion hearing. Many criminal defense attorneys like myself also handle Administrative Law matters. This category of Education Law falls into Administrative Law. You have a good defense to expulsion because it did not involve your school, but many student handbooks have clauses that purport to give the school jurisdiction if you "committed an act that would tend to cause embarrassment to the school." I think you need to fight this case.

Give me a call tomorrow to further discuss your case and explore your options.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
(310) 707-7131
www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply.

I will definitely call you tomorrow. My name is Nathan

Also I did create fake letters of recommendations and used my relatives names as teachers and what not. I think I applied to about 10 schools.

Seth Andrew Weinstein

Seth Andrew Weinstein

Nathan, I look forward to hearing from you today. Seth Weinstein, Esq. Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney (310) 707-7131 www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

You need a criminal law defense attorney first and foremost. There is little of value for you in moving forward with any administrative defense or process. You are subject to expulsion for dishonesty. The fact that you define these acts as not related to your behavior "at school" will not be much use if you crafted fake transcripts. You aren't now going to be admitted at any of the colleges you applied to now, and your high school transcript will forever reference these acts of dishonesty to the extent that they are known to the school, so your remaining agenda is to avoid criminal conviction on grounds of fraud and forgery if possible.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

I agree with the others that contacting a experienced defense attorney is the best bet. It is also important to examine your school's code of conduct and ethics policies. Often there are methods and systems in place to use student advocates or student ethic committees to determine the penalty for these types of infractions. While these committees are often unpredictable, it may be possible to find more understanding among fellow classmates than you would from Administration.

Education law topics