Criminal law or education law question: I forged transcripts for colleges, can my current school expel me?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I just turned 18 and I'm almost about to graduate in June from my high school. I applied to a lot of colleges and sen in fake documents and fake transcripts claiming I was homes hooked and I was accepted. Anyway someone at my real school told the principal and now she wants to expel me. Can she do that even though nothing I did had to do with her school?

Also some of the schools reported this to the police department in their city and state, I'm in Los Angeles, do I need a criminal lawyer or education law attorney!?!

Additional information

The above should read homeschooled.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 1

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Whether or not you committed a Fraud is up in the air (or a Forgery if you attached someone else's name to the documents), so it is possible they may try to prosecute you, but may not be highly probable. I know that is not what you want to hear, because you want something more definitive. There is no way to know that without more information including what was forged, your current school, your behavioral history and what colleges were involved.

    As for the expulsion, you do have the right to an expulsion hearing. Many criminal defense attorneys like myself also handle Administrative Law matters. This category of Education Law falls into Administrative Law. You have a good defense to expulsion because it did not involve your school, but many student handbooks have clauses that purport to give the school jurisdiction if you "committed an act that would tend to cause embarrassment to the school." I think you need to fight this case.

    Give me a call tomorrow to further discuss your case and explore your options.

    Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131

    This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need a criminal law defense attorney first and foremost. There is little of value for you in moving forward with any administrative defense or process. You are subject to expulsion for dishonesty. The fact that you define these acts as not related to your behavior "at school" will not be much use if you crafted fake transcripts. You aren't now going to be admitted at any of the colleges you applied to now, and your high school transcript will forever reference these acts of dishonesty to the extent that they are known to the school, so your remaining agenda is to avoid criminal conviction on grounds of fraud and forgery if possible.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended... more
  3. Answered . I agree with the others that contacting a experienced defense attorney is the best bet. It is also important to examine your school's code of conduct and ethics policies. Often there are methods and systems in place to use student advocates or student ethic committees to determine the penalty for these types of infractions. While these committees are often unpredictable, it may be possible to find more understanding among fellow classmates than you would from Administration.

Related Topics

Education law

Education law focuses on issues in schools and universities, such as appealing suspensions and expulsions, or updating IEPs (Individualized Education Programs).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

35,132 answers this week

3,871 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

35,132 answers this week

3,871 attorneys answering