Criminal Investigator trying to Interview

Dallas, TX |

I was Call today by criminal Investigator requesting to meet with me about a car that was damage at my previous job and the owner of the car is telling them I did it, What can i do in this case, should I accept to Interview with the Investigator or should i hire an attorney? I never touch this girl car, I'm not even sure when this happen or how. WHAT SHOULD i DO, the investigator is trying to come to my new job to meet me since I work the same business hrs as they do... Help please i don't want to get myself in trouble by doing or saying something or doing something I don't suppose to

1. You are not required to speak with the investigator. You don't even need a lawyer in order to tell them you do not want to talk. Just by the fact they are asking to interview you means they suspect and are trying to show you committed a crime.

If you are innocent, you have nothing to gain by talking to the investigator.

If you did do something, you have everything to lose by talking to the investigator.

You would be best served by speaking with an attorney about all the details first. Then make your decision.

2. When you are suspected of an offense, you should never speak to the police or any agent of the State without a defense attorney present. Contrary to what he might say, he is NOT trying to help you or "just clear this up." He is trying to build a case against you. If he approaches you and you do not yet have counsel, you should immediately tell him that you will not speak to him without an attorney present. Do NOT be convinced to do otherwise no matter what he says. I cannot stress this enough.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

3. The operative term here is "criminal investigator." That means YOU are under suspicion of a crime.

You are under no obligation to talk to this individual and trying to handle the matter without an attorney may not be in your best interests. A call to the TX and Dallas bar associations will get you referrals.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

4. Easy question. Get a lawyer.

The rest of this situation has been addressed by other attorneys answering your question.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

5. You need an attorney and you need to tell the investigator that he is not welcome to come to your place of employment. Is the investigator a police officer, an insurance agent or a private investigator? Either way, I suggest hiring someone to sit down with you before you speak with the police or anyone else. I am happy to speak with you about your options; feel free to call. Good luck

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing