Criminal Investigator trying to Interview

Asked over 1 year ago - Dallas, TX

I was Call today by criminal Investigator requesting to meet with me about a car that was damage at my previous job and the owner of the car is telling them I did it, What can i do in this case, should I accept to Interview with the Investigator or should i hire an attorney? I never touch this girl car, I'm not even sure when this happen or how. WHAT SHOULD i DO, the investigator is trying to come to my new job to meet me since I work the same business hrs as they do... Help please i don't want to get myself in trouble by doing or saying something or doing something I don't suppose to

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Jim Mitchell Medley

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are not required to speak with the investigator. You don't even need a lawyer in order to tell them you do not want to talk. Just by the fact they are asking to interview you means they suspect and are trying to show you committed a crime.

    If you are innocent, you have nothing to gain by talking to the investigator.

    If you did do something, you have everything to lose by talking to the investigator.

    You would be best served by speaking with an attorney about all the details first. Then make your decision.

  2. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . When you are suspected of an offense, you should never speak to the police or any agent of the State without a defense attorney present. Contrary to what he might say, he is NOT trying to help you or "just clear this up." He is trying to build a case against you. If he approaches you and you do not yet have counsel, you should immediately tell him that you will not speak to him without an attorney present. Do NOT be convinced to do otherwise no matter what he says. I cannot stress this enough.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  3. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Easy question. Get a lawyer.

    The rest of this situation has been addressed by other attorneys answering your question.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more
  4. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need an attorney and you need to tell the investigator that he is not welcome to come to your place of employment. Is the investigator a police officer, an insurance agent or a private investigator? Either way, I suggest hiring someone to sit down with you before you speak with the police or anyone else. I am happy to speak with you about your options; feel free to call. Good luck

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more
  5. Keith G Langer

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The operative term here is "criminal investigator." That means YOU are under suspicion of a crime.

    You are under no obligation to talk to this individual and trying to handle the matter without an attorney may not be in your best interests. A call to the TX and Dallas bar associations will get you referrals.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,975 answers this week

3,147 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,975 answers this week

3,147 attorneys answering