Criminal defense and public defender...?

Orlando, FL |

Hi, I am an international grade student and my crime is trespassing and resisting without violence. I wonder if the public defenders can solve my problem or I have to hire a lawyer?
Do you have any advice for me to remove this condition in best result?
what would be the consequences that may happen for me with such crimes?

Thank you

Thanks for your responds. How ever I would like to know what do u recommend me to do: public defender or lawyer? which of them can bring the best result. I have to be careful of what issues?

Public defenders are criminal defense attorneys. If you have been charged with a crime and cannot afford an attorney, you can ask the court to appoint an attorney to represent you. If you already have a conviction(s) then you should consult a local attorney to discuss the details of the situation. Do not delay, since appeal times are very limited.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

C. C. Abbott

C. C. Abbott

God bless you.

C. C. Abbott

C. C. Abbott

Sorry that was for Barry.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

Most appreciated. Into the fray as Public Defender again this morning!

A public defender is a lawyer for people who can't afford to hire a lawyer. You don't get to pick one or the other. You get a public defender only because you simply cannot afford a lawyer. You should consult with a local, experienced criminal defense attorney to determine what can happen because of these charges and how it will impact your immigration status as am international graduate student.

I got a trespass at one of the department of university because one faculty complaint about me eventhough I didnot do or behave rude, impolite or.. 2 weeks after that I enter that department to submit my homework to another faculty. just in 4 minutes 3 police officers came and arrested me while I just submitted my homework and was going to came out of that department. Is there any consequesnce for my Visa status?

Public defenders are lawyers and can certainly represent you. The issue with them is the fact that they have many more cases than a private lawyer. If you want service and a lawyer to spend time with you and have the adequate time tonprepare your case you should hire a private lawyer. The question for you is how much you value your future.

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-228-3838 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at bill@thelawman.net and put AVVO in the subject line.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

Perhaps you should spend a year as a public defender.

So public defenders have a greater workload, which excuses them from carrying out the duties stated in the job description? Hospitals r staffed inadequately, which creates a high volume of patients who need treatment. Should healthcare workers be excused from performing their duties as well? Most people can't afford to hire a private attorney. Even if they could, why would anyone pay up to $500 per hr, for a crapshoot? Attorneys are compensated regardless of the outcome. They get paid whether the defendant is dismissed of all charges or incarcerated. Would u want to pay a mechanic if he didn't fix ur car? Would u want to pay for a meal that was half cooked? I would set my money on fire, or serve time in prison, before I paid a lawyer top dollar....to gamble with my freedom.

Barry Franklin Poulson

Barry Franklin Poulson

The point you are missing in your rant is that you have the right to hire your own attorney. Or, if you are unable to compete in this society and no one will pay you for the skills you have, the government will provide an attorny for free. Contingent fees are not permitted in criminal defense. So, what you are ranting about just cannot be done. Job description? None. Duty? Zealous defense. And, 30 minutes later, zealous defense for the next felony of the day. Public defenders do not set their own schedules, the courts do. They do not set the workload, or select cases. SO, 30 minutes of zealous defense is all the county is willing to pay for someone who is unable to compete in our economic system. Time for a very effective plea bargain.

If you are that concerned about whether a court appointed attorney will work to get you the best deal, then you are concerned enough to need to hire a private attorney.

It is difficult to say who is best for you. The truth is that public defenders are lawyers and many of them are very good lawyers. The problem most people encounter is that public defenders have such big caseloads they often do not have a lot of time to give their individual clients. If you want someone to give you personal attention, to explain things to you in detail, and to have the time to spend on your case, then you should hire a private attorney. Of course, just like public defenders when it comes to private attorneys there are good ones and there are bad ones.

Ask your friends if they've ever hired an attorney and who they would recommend. If they don't know any, then look up some attorneys here on avvo.com and see what people have had to say about them.

If you've never been in trouble then you are not looking at anything serious. Jail, while possible, is unlikely in your case. Nonetheless, these are crimes and you should take them seriously.

Please feel free to call me if you have any questions or would like to discuss your case in more detail.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

The reality is that under the Pandilla v. Kentucky decision any criminal defense attorney has to be weary of the immigration consequences of any criminal adjudication. You have to qualify for the services of the public defender and you will be screened at the court if you appear and ask for the help of a PD. I have been both a PD and a private criminal attorney and can remember when Florida had the PD cycle for private attorneys to assist.
Most PD offices throughout Florida have attorneys who they consult with to advise on the immigration consequences of criminal adjudications. (I am one of them)
Good luck - remember that the any criminal adjudication including diversion programs and no contest pleas can be considered guilty adjudications for purposes of immigration law.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

The charges, if convicted, are a violation of the terms of your visa. Whether you qualify for a PD or you go with a private attorney, you need to make sure your criminal attorney understands immigration law and the consequences in your specific case. Your best option is an attorney who practices both criminal and immigration law and can protect your best immigration interests in the criminal court.