Criminal Defense

I am the petitioner in the family court for custody,stay away order, support cases against my husband. My husband had a criminal case for just a violation. Now the matter of family court has got transferred to Supreme court Integrated Domestic violence part. I am unable to understand what is happening in his criminal case.Is it dismissed ? I need a lawyer please

Hollis, NY -

Benjamin J Lieberman

Benjamin J Lieberman

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

The case is not dismissed. The IDV part was created so that people with multiple cases can have all their matters heard before on judge. Your husband now has multiple cases ie family and criminal that's why it was transferred. On the next date in court ask the judge to appoint a lawyer for you. If eligible the court may do so.

Howard A. Schwartz

Howard A. Schwartz

Criminal Defense Attorney - Brooklyn, NY

The IDV part handles matters where there are criminal and domestic relations matters such as support, custody, visitation and/or divorce. It does not mean that the criminal case is dismissed. The criminal case will be prosecuted by the district attorney's office just as it was in criminal court. You do not need representation in the criminal matter and if fact, if you are unable to afford representation it is possible the court will appoint you counsel in the domestic relations matters. Of course you are free to have counsel of your own choosing for the non-criminal issues and it might be advisable to contact an attorney to discuss all the issues you are presently facing. Good luck.

Scott Evan Gross

Scott Evan Gross

Criminal Defense Attorney - Ronkonkoma, NY

The integrated part is one part which hears family matters as well as criminal matters. You should hire an attorney that has experience in both areas.

Scott Gross
Scottgrosslaw.com

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Joseph A Lo Piccolo

Criminal Defense Attorney - Garden City, NY

Criminal goes w/Family Court to Supreme Court/IDV. Nothings done yet.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

IDV was set up so 1 judge can handle everything.