Skip to main content

Criminal defense

Phoenix, AZ |

My fiance is not new to the courts unfortunately but his attitude has changed for the better like staying out of trouble while he is incarcerated and taking the steps that he can to work on himself and staying sober. What we are wondering is, if there is a way or a little secret of what he can do to show the judge in the little time he has that he really is done with his past and he is taking this serious? I know kind of an odd question but we are willing to do anything!!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Your question is somewhat vague, but I have generally found that sincerity goes a long way. A heartfelt statement at sentencing, and an acknowledgment of wrongdoing will usually mean something to a judge. Character reference letters can also help. On the other hand, if the judge or the prosecutor believe that the defendant is trying to "play"them, that will usually blow up any hope for a lenient sentence. Best advice, ask your fiance's lawyer what can be done. Good luck.

    The response I have provided is general in nature, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. My practice is based in Rhode Island, and the law and practice in other states or jurisdictions may be different.

  2. Are you asking about how he should present himself to the Judge for sentencing? If so, given that his attorney knows his case better than any of us ever could, I believe he should be asking this of his attorney.

  3. Showing remorse is good. Get an attorney to help present it to court .


  4. If he is free on bond before sentencing he needs to get a job, get treatment, pay child support if he has children, pay his bills and stay out of trouble. Show up at sentencing without a job and without treatment the judge will think he isn't a productive member of society anyway, why not send him to prison to dry out and keep him from being a thief or at least a leach on his family, girlfriend or someone else. Everyone in jail finds Jesus and promises this is the last time.....Watch some sentencings.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics