Criminal defense

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My husband and I need a criminal defense attorney in Seattle , The attorney we have is not giving us not defending us hardly at all , and never allowed the only witness to testify in a assault case that should be self defense.

Did you speak with your current attorney about hiring a different attorney? What is his/her position?

I don't know the facts of your case, but he or she may have a basis for not having the witness testify. Some witnesses can have a negative impact on your case.

If you started trial it may be to late. Follow the other attorney's advice and ask why.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

If your case is already in trial it would be very difficult to retain new counsel to step in. I would suggest you speak with your current attorney about the decision not to call a particular witness to testify. If you do not agree with what your attorney has to say on the matter you might seek out the opinion of another attorney but that person will be limited in the advice he or she would be able offer, absent a copy of all discovery and knowledge of what has taken place at trial.

Sounds like the trial has started and you can't switch attorneys in the middle of trial

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

It is very true that if the trial has started that it may be too late to get a different attorney on board HOWEVER Judges like finality to cases and if it isn't being done correctly then you should be talking to your attorney to make sure it is. There could be a very good reason why someone isn't called as a witness and you may not understand the reason. ASK

Sounds like you and your lawyer should have an in person discussion about the defense strategy for your case. If your case is set for trial, you would actually need the judge's permission for your current attorney to withdraw and for a new attorney to substitute in. Although there is not enough information here to comment on whether your current attorney is defending your case properly, I am sure your attorney has a strategy in mind. Hopefully once you talk to your attorney, you will feel better and more confident in your representation.

I would not assume that your attorney is being less than zealous here, he may have valid tactical reasons for not calling that witness. Sometimes a friendly, but impeachable, witness causes more harm than good.

At this point, it's not likely that you'll find a replacement attorney if you're already in trial. No decent attorney will pick up a case at that stage. There simply is not enough time to prepare and provide you with quality representation that late in the game.