Criminal defense

Asked 12 months ago - Port Deposit, MD

I was recently pulled over. They searched my car and found 114 bags of herion. I had no prior knowledge that the drugs were in my car. After finding them they arrested me. However there are some things that don't seem right. There was a passanger in the vehicle, he was allowed to leave even though he did not have a photo id on him? They did not read me my rights?
They did not impound my car?
And once I was bailed out all the money(200 for Xmas shopping) was given back to me??

Attorney answers (5)

  1. William Lawrence Welch III

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

    Information in the reply is provided as a public service. It is neither a comprehensive statement of the law nor... more
  2. Scott R. Scherr

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need an attorney given the serious nature of the charges. Use the Find a Lawyer function on AVVO. If you cannot afford a private attorney, contact the Public Defender. Do not post any details on AVVO since this is a public forum.

    You could have possible defense and there may be issues surrounding the search. The fact that they never read you your rights will not result in a dismissal, but may exclude any statements by you while interrogated in custody.

    This answer is being given for general informational purposes only and is not protected by the attorney-client... more
  3. Erick Masten Platten


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Ahhh... you need help fast. Contact an attorney as soon as possible.


    Erick Platten
    State Wide Representation

    Avvo attorney's donate their time to answer questions for free. If an answer is helpful or addresses the issue you needed information on, please indicate so by clicking on the helpful answer tab. Your help with this is appreciated too.

  4. Ibrahim Abohamra

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Really simply get a lawyer as soon as possible.

    This office does not represent you. This email does not form any attorney / client relationship. In order to form... more
  5. Daniel Guy Hempey

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . This could obviously be a very serious case. Get lawyer now. Do not make ANY statements to law enforcement without first checking with a real criminal defense lawyer. You may want to check or have your lawyer have an investigator check to see if there are traffic cams or other cameras that may corroborate the part about the other person leaving your car. A lot of these films are recycled/destroyed on some schedule, so if there is a dispute about this other person being there or not, be sure to get your lawyer's opinion on getting out request/subpoenas ASAP.

    Information provided in the forum is not intended as legal advice. Laws and case outcomes can vary from State to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,907 answers this week

3,038 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,907 answers this week

3,038 attorneys answering