Criminal defense

Asked 12 months ago - West Covina, CA

Stoled $2000 from employer in 2008. Did a polygraph for a job and admitted to stealing. Could I still be prosecuted? Is their statue of limitation? I admitted in 2012 to the polygraph

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

19

Answered . The SOL should be 3 years from the incident (felony grand theft). Therefore you can't be prosecuted even if you admitted to the crime on a polygraph.

2. David Patrick Vaughn

19

Answered . This is a public forum so you should not admit guilt in your posting.

3. Dan Eugene Chambers

16

Answered . Mr. Kaman is right--3 years from the date of the offense. The statute would have expired sometime in 2011.

4. Joel W. Bailey

15

Answered . I only add that if there was active concealment of the theft that can possibly toll the statute of limitations.

5. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

13

Answered . No- statute of limitations is3 years

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY
  6. Yaniv Kenan

13

Answered . Three years. However, if you embezzled public funds (and there's a difference between theft and embezzlement), there's no statute of limitations. See Penal Code section 799. Hopefully that doesn't apply to you.

7. Victoria L Clemans

Pro

12

Answered . The statute of limitations is 3 years, however, you could still be prosecuted if you received notice in the mail, went to court, and got arraigned and then blew off the court. In that case, you purposely aged the case and the statute was tolled (meaning it stood still) and if this were the case unfortunately you could still be prosecuted. That is why you need to speak to a lawyer PRONTO! LAW OFFICES OF VICTORIA CLEMANS, ESQ.

8. Vijay Dinakar

Pro

10

Answered . I'm interested in why you were ordered to take a polygraph related to prior theft occurrences; is this is a government job or one involving security clearance of some sort (do not reveal anything on this public forum). Also of interest is whether the job your were applying for (or already held) led to your being hired (or fired if already employed). There sounds like there is more to this story, perhaps you should speak with a criminal attorney in private and reveal everything there. In the meantime, do not talk to anyone about this or other related or unrelated theft occurrences. I agree that in all likelihood the statute of limitations expired after 3 years as this sounds like a garden variety felony theft which has a 3 year limit.

For a Free Consultation Call: 408.516.4645
  9. Alexander Fredrick Harper

Pro

9

Answered . While keeping in mind that polygraph evidence is generally not admissible in criminal court proceedings in California, your direct answer to a question could be as a statement against your self interest. You should be OK as long as you were never in a situation as described above. However, there are some circumstances in which a prosecutor could still pursue the case. It would be a very good idea for you to seek an in-person consultation with a criminal law attorney. A short consultation should not be expensive, and will be worth a great deal of peace of mind.