Criminal defense

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My fiance is in jail but he hasn't been charged yet we were in a stolen car but were not aware it was stolen please help

Contact a local TX criminal attorney ASAP - many on AVVO do not charge a fee for an initial consultation; if she can't afford one & qualifies a public defender can be appointed. Good luck

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

These facts don't present much to go on, but there may be a defense of some sort available. You should shop for a local defense lawyer ASAP.

I agree with my learned colleagues. He needs the assistance of a qualified criminal defense attorney without delay. You can help him by interviewing candidates for the job. Most here will provide free consultations. Take advantage of that opportunity to speak privately with one or more to locate one suitable for representation of your boyfriend. Good luck.

It sounds like convincing the prosecutor (or perhaps a jury) of his lack of knowledge is going to be the main issue there. Yes, obviously he's going to need a good criminal defense attorney. One additional step that you may be able to take now that could help him is that if you've got any personal knowledge of how all this happened and who else was involved, now would be a good time to write it all down, including full names, addresses, and contact information if known, so that his attorney will have some useful information to start with. Good luck.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Good suggestion that I recommend that you follow.

There is not much to go on here. I strongly recommend you to contact an attorney first thing Monday morning. He/she will be able to investigate the case, gather all the missing facts, and give you a professional opinion.

As a former prosecutor with the Harris County District Attorney's Office for over six years I am very familiar with this type of problem. Do you know what county your fiance is charged in? Your fiance needs to retain an attorney to help him with this issue. Some counties take awhile to file a charge against a person. An attorney can get the case on the docket so that process begins and a bond can be discussed before the judge. In your question it states your fiance did not know the car was stolen. I dealt with this particular case hundreds of times and on a daily basis. It is a defense to your crime because the State has to prove that your fiance knew the car was stolen. Fill free to contact attorneys in your area that have experience in thsi issue. Many attorneys, including myself, offer free consultations.

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal advice has not been given. Also, this question and answer is posted on a public forum and therefore any attorney-privilege is waived.