Criminal defense

Asked over 1 year ago - Victoria, TX

I am on probtation for a misdemeanor possession of marijuana charge. I was a month from getting off probation (10/9/12) and I got arrested and picked up the same charge. I was already paid up on court fees and probation hours were done all I had to do next was mail in and I was done. Now with this new charge what will happen? I have a court appointed attorney will that help?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Committing a new offense while on probation is never popular with prosecutors.

    Most lawyers who take court appointments also have a retained practice, so without knowing who the good lawyers and the poor ones are in the community where you are on probation, it is not possible to say whether having a court appointed attorney as opposed to a hired lawyer will help.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more
  2. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have 2 issues: new drug arrest and a potential motion to revoke your probated sentence. You need a criminal defense attorney- private or a public defender. The prosecutor will not be pleased to see you again. Get counsel ASAP.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more
  3. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . See my answer to your previous question.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  4. Stephen A. Gustitis

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There's a good chance you may go to jail. Your lawyer is trained to help you and provide sound legal advice. However, that may also depend on their level of criminal defense experience and their work ethic. Please direct your questions to your lawyer, since they are in the best position to help you.

  5. David Daniel White


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Depending on your criminal history you may be able to have the judge extend your probation with some additional counseling.

    Law Office of David D. White, PLLC
    1205 Rio Grande St.
    Austin, TX 78701
    (512) 369-3737

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,041 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,041 answers this week

2,968 attorneys answering