Criminal check for deferred action policy?

Asked over 2 years ago - Milford, VA

Hello, I was just wondering if I need to do a criminal check on me. I'm trying to apply for deferred action, I meet all the requirements. I have two dismissed traffic tickets but other than that no felonies or anything. I already have my fingerprint card. Is it necessary for me to send it to the FBI to be sure that I'm "clean" I wanna start filling out the form. My immigration lawyer told me that it wasn't necessary, I asked her about my birth certificate and she told me that all I needed was my passport... I'm really nervous... I want my package to be well packed with the information needed. And sorry I have trust issues... But I gotta do some research before I make a move.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. James Stanton Abrenio


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . The deferred action policy is new, and immigration attorneys are going to be better versed that criminal defense attorneys on how to proceed. My suggestion to you is to listen to your attorney, and if you don't trust him/her, go see another immigration attorney.

    I have heard many promising hopes about this deferred action policy. But have also heard some downsides. Be careful and go so another immigration attorney. I imagine they do free consultations.

    Best of luck,

    James S. Abrenio

    This answer does not create a attorney/client relationship, but is intended solely in the court of discussion. It... more
  2. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Your immigration attorney appears to be competent and qualified ... don't second-guess her.

    Franco Capriotti - Senior Immigration Counsel
    CAPRIOTTI INTERNATIONAL LAW -- 1-503-803-0055 --

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only.... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Please see the answer to your other question.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,104 answers this week

3,427 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,104 answers this week

3,427 attorneys answering