Skip to main content

Criminal charges

Fresno, CA |

Whats the point of getting a charge changed or reduced if it still shows the orginal on your record. Whats the advantage?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Well, lets say you were charged with a Burglary as a felony but they change it Burglary as a misdemeanor, it is better to be convicted of a misdemeanor than a felony. Or, lets say you were charged with Petty Theft as a misdemeanor and they reduce to an infraction its better to have an infraction than a misdemeanor. Or lets say you were charged with Petty Theft as a misdemeanor and they change to charge to a Disturbing the peace violation, that is better than a Petty Theft on your record.

    A dismissal in all cases is the best!

    Elliot Zarabi

  2. Sometimes employers will not accept felons. If it was reduced to a misdemeanor you could apply for more jobs. Also, it can affect your ability to get state and federal loans. It may also affect your ability to vote.

  3. There's a lot more to a felony or a misdemeanor than just what shows on your record. Getting a felony reduced to a misdemeanor also means that many rights (like those Mr. Rusca mentioned- like voting, the right to own a I firearm, etc.) are preserved and that the court can no longer send you to prison as a consequence of your conviction.

    Additonally, even if the record shows the original charge, you can always prove the reduction occurred with the docket, transcript or a minute order.

    Please don't forget to choose the "best" or most "helpful" answer. This response does not create an attorney client relationship. The information provided here should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for legal advice received by an attorney that you have retained for your specific case. If you are actually involved in a case pending in court and you have an attorney, you should speak to your attorney and follow his/her advice. The information provided here is for general purposes only.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics