Skip to main content

Criminal Appeal

Flushing, NY |

Can someone appeal after one year of conviction

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


A Notice of Appeal has to be served within 30 days of the conviction (sentencing). However, the appeallate courts often grant motions to file a late Notice of Appeal in crimnal cases. I handle criminal appeals.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


The notice of appeal has to be filed within 30 days and then the process of filing begins. There are time frames involved that an appeals attorney can explain better.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


The 30 limit may be extended by the appellate division upon the filing of a writ of errors. If you are already up to one year, you could run into a problem and you may have to document your efforts during the past year of seeking an appeal and why it was frustrated.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


I have been able to file them after the 30days but you will need to have a good reason.


Yes it is possible. We handle criminal appeals. Call today and let's get started. and 347-628-2391.

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E.

John J. Carney

John J. Carney


Avvo does not allow client solicitation

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer