Criminal: Gag orders, how often in wa st.

Asked over 2 years ago - Port Angeles, WA

In assault cases, criminal harassment, how often are gag orders issued on the defendant side of things in WA ST?

Also, I know that no contact orders are signed and no direct or indirect contact is to be made but what constitutes "indirect contact??"

If I have a blog, web site, I can't counteract other media and point things out like the alleged victim also has a record on file and place that public info on my site, or would that be indirect???

1. Derek Michael Smith

Pro

6

Answered . Indirect contact means that you ask a third party to contact the protected party. For example: you are forbidden to contact A. You call A's mom and ask her to tell A "I love her and I'm sorry." This is a classic example of indirect contact. As to your questiin about blogging and gag orders, This does not sound like a hypothetical question, but a question directed out of a specific court order issued against you. If that's the case, contact an attorney with the specifics of the order and your case and get their advice.

2. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

2

Answered . You have been given your answers with your other postings. If you want to pay an attorney, they will represent you but as these are free comments, you will not get an attorney to spend the day with you. Do your homework and if you are running a business and have legal concerns, hire an attorney. Good luck!

3. Joshua Pond

1

Answered . Contact with an alleged victim, at least here in Oregon, is one of the surest ways there is to get yourself tossed in the slammer pending trial. This just doesn't sound worth it. Either wait until it's over before blogging about it, or get a good attorney in your corner now who can fight to keep you out or get you out.