Crime involving moral turpitude and Immigration

Asked over 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

I have a immigration question,can You pls help?
I have 2 misdemeanors in my backround,one Petit theft (dismissed after 6 month community service) and another one is driving without DL.
Will these charges effect to become permanent residentship?
I love this country,I forget to pay the small item,and unattentionly walked out,but police still arrested and charged me with retail petit theft long time ago.
Thank You sir or madam

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Isaul Verdin

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . It appears that the petit theft would qualify under the Petty Offense exception. You should have an experienced immigration lawyer review your criminal documents to confirm. Best of luck.

    Verdin Law Firm, LLC
    Dallas, TX

  2. Eric Elliot Ludin

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I would need to confirm that it really was petit theft since there is a petit theft exception. Also, why was your license suspended? So, I would need more information. For instance, when did you commit these crime? Were you represented and were you notified of the effect that a plea to the crime might have to your immigration status? You should discuss this with an attorney before filing for naturalization.

  3. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You 'might' be OK.

    Take your records to an immigration attorney for confirmation.

    IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR for 10 years -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only.... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,660 answers this week

2,708 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,660 answers this week

2,708 attorneys answering