Creditor won judgment. Wage garnishment.

Are there any prior events/signs that wage garnishment is about to happen usually ? I just moved to a new job, and don't believe the creditor know my current work place.

Only that your employer tells you about the papers from the sheriff. Sometimes people do not even know about a judgment before getting a short paycheck.

A wage garnishment cannot be accomplished with an application for an earnings withholding order and subsequent issuance of that order. You can determine if one has been issued in your case online if you have a case number. If none has been issued, wage garnishment is not imminent.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

James Carl Eschen III

James Carl Eschen III

I think you mean "without." I wish Avvo gave us a way to edit our answers.

Malosack Berjis

Malosack Berjis

Here, here, Mr. Eschen.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

I did, Mr. Eschen. I caught it after posting. I too wish there was a way to edit after posting. I make a lot of such mistakes unless I cut and paste from a larger screen. It is so hard to proof your own work, especially when lines disappear in front of yer (sic) face.

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

BTW, I love the peanut gallery. Just like Question Time. ; )

Malosack Berjis

Malosack Berjis

I wish I knew what the Peanut Gallery was...

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

From Wikipedia: "A peanut gallery was, in the days of vaudeville, a nickname for the cheapest (and ostensibly rowdiest) seats in the theater, the occupants of which were all too willing [in the view of the performer] to heckle the performer."

Thanks for the reply ! So to clarify, they cannot serve my employer through Sheriff with the judgment letter only ? And it has to be with an earnings withholding order ?

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

I don't know what a "judgment letter" is. But, yes, your employer must be served with an earnings withholding order before you employer can withhold your wages.

I guess the technical term is not a judgment letter. Sorry. I was referring to the judgment won by the creditor that is mailed to me. And if they file earnings withholding order, I should be able to see that online. How about putting a lien on my property ? Is that avaialble online as well ?

Michael Raymond Daymude

Michael Raymond Daymude

If an involuntary lien is placed on your real property, the recorder will notify you by mail. Not certain about liens on personal property. Good luck.

Will this be the same case for levying bank accounts where the creditor has to file an order as well ?

The creditor will not give you advance notice. When the garnishment is served upon your employer, your employer must immediately give you legal forms. Read them. If applicable, file a Claim of Exemption with the Sheriff. There is no fee to file a Claim of Exemption. Unless you file it, 25% of your wages will be garnished.