Creditor won judgment. Wage garnishment.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Are there any prior events/signs that wage garnishment is about to happen usually ? I just moved to a new job, and don't believe the creditor know my current work place.

1. James Carl Eschen III

2

Answered . Only that your employer tells you about the papers from the sheriff. Sometimes people do not even know about a judgment before getting a short paycheck.

2. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

1

Answered . A wage garnishment cannot be accomplished with an application for an earnings withholding order and subsequent issuance of that order. You can determine if one has been issued in your case online if you have a case number. If none has been issued, wage garnishment is not imminent.

3. Richard Scott Lysle

1

Answered . The creditor will not give you advance notice. When the garnishment is served upon your employer, your employer must immediately give you legal forms. Read them. If applicable, file a Claim of Exemption with the Sheriff. There is no fee to file a Claim of Exemption. Unless you file it, 25% of your wages will be garnished.