Credit history question

Brooklyn, NY |

If I don't pay the bills on time (rent in this case) will it affect my credit history, considering that I don't have a credit card and never had one? So, basically, I don't have a credit built up...

P.S. The only thing that I have on my name is this apartment I rent, phones and utility bills are not included

Your credit is calculated not only by having a credit card, but by your age, years of employment, property owned, months or years in your apartment/rent, bank history, debts, bankruptcy and more. Not paying rent? Bad idea. Please look for the advice of an attorney.

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

2. The answer is maybe... If they report delinquencies to the credit bureaus then it will negatively affect your credit score.

3. First of all, I wouldn't assume you don't have a credit record. I would check your credit using the AnnualCreditReport.com website which is free and see for yourself.

More specifically, I'm not sure that rent is an extension of credit and therefore may not be eligible to be reported on your credit report. Additionally, utilities and land based phones are also not usually reported, however cell phone bills are.

In any case, having seen multiple credit reports, I have never seen an account relating to a person's rent.

My response does not constitute legal advice and we do not have an attorney/client relationship. You may contact me for more information at 845-290-9678 or at dkatz@dkatzlaw.com.

Credit repair topics