Credit card lawsuit

Seattle, WA |

In Washington state when a person is served with a summons and lawsuit concerning a credit card debt, does the plaintiff have to attached a copy of the original credit card contract to the lawsuit paperwork? In other words is this a requirement of the court.

The requirements to start a lawsuit is simple: a summons and a complaint in plain language so that the defendant can understand why the defendant is being sued.

The complaint should have enough information for the defendant to reasonably figure out the bases for the lawsuit. There is no requirement that the original credit card contract be attached to the complaint. Many creditors do attach copies of the original contracts when the copies are readily available.

In discovery, documents can be obtained.

You should review your specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options.

It is not. You can obtain that information from the plaintiff through the discovery process.

You should also consult local court rules because on occasion they will have requirements beyond the regular RCWs. I have seen a requirement for a residential landlord tenant agreement to be attached as an exhibit in a complaint for unlawful detainer.

I agree with both previous answers and CR 26 allows you to seek the evidence they will use.
Good Luck

Only If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

Shawn B Alexander

Shawn B Alexander

I frequently attach the documents with the summons and complaint to avoid confusion about the subject matter of the lawsuit.