Credit Card Judgment (Public Record), applying for US Naturalization, an issue of moral character?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I am applying for US Citizenship, but I am concerned since I just had a public judgment for the credit card debts I incurred in the past year, would this exclude me from applying? I have heard bankruptcy would not be an issue for the purposes of good moral character requirement but would like to be sure if Public Judgment would be a problem, pls help! *Public Judgment within the last 5 years. Do I also indicate in the N-400 application that I was cited by the (Civil) Court in relation to the above credit card debt? The questions in the GMC are rather tricky, I think it pertains to criminal citations/arrests but not anything civil in matter.

Do I also have to mention on the application as well as the immigration officer that I have a public judgment? I am thinking that I have to somehow provide a documentation or some copy of the judgment.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

1

Answered . You are fine.

2. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

3

2

Answered . No. A civil court matter is not usually a criminal one unless you committed fraud on the credit application and have yet to be arrested.

You have any questions or concerns, then I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. You will want an attorney who can take the time to ask enough questions to answer all your concerns. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Pro

2

2

Answered . Generally speaking, civil actions resulting in, for example, money judgments or bankruptcy do not effect one's ability to show good moral character which is a requirement in order to naturalize. I agree with Mr. Dixler that if you have specific concerns you should schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and and concerns so that you are on the path to success.