Credit card company trying to sue me past the statute of limitations

Asked over 1 year ago - San Bernardino, CA

Received a call from a law office who is trying to serve me on behalf of Bo Fa for a credit card I had a long time ago . It was been over 7 years and that account has already fell of my credit report . How do I respond to this and tell them / the court that the statute of limitations has passed ? Should I attach a copy of my credit report as evidence ? Any help is appreciated !

Attorney answers (4)

  1. James Carl Eschen III

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Do not try to argue; they are not interested in listening. Next time they call, say no more than (1) the statute of limitations has passed, and (2) they should not call you again. If you get more calls, see a lawyer experienced in debt collection.

  2. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . They can still try to collect. Often times it is a ploy to get a reaffirmation. Legally they cannot sue you unless it is reaffirmed. One option is to sue them for declaratory relief to establish that they cannot sue you for it which would probably stop them.

    This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation.... more
  3. Kris K. Skaar

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . How do you know that a law office is trying to serve you? If the only reason that you think that is because they are telling you that on the telephone (or they are having a fake "courier" call you) then you are probably dealing with a scam collection agency.

    Think about it, why would any law office tell you that a process server was coming? It would just make the process server's job tougher.

    For now, you can respond to the callers by letting them talk to your voice mail. Arguing with them will do you no good. Save all voice mails for review by an attorney.

    I suggest that you have your situation reviewed by an experienced consumer rights attorney. You can look for one at

    Skaar & Feagle, LLP maintains offices in Marietta (770 427 5600) and Decatur (404 373 1970), Georgia. The... more
  4. Ian A. Scharg


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I recommend you contact an attorney if they continue to call you and harass you. You may want to consider having an attorney write a cease and desist letter on your behalf.

    Either find an attorney on avvo or

    Best of luck.

    Ian A. Scharg, Esq.
    Law Offices of Mark A. Redmond
    555 Capitol Mall, Suite 770
    Sacramento, CA 95818
    (916) 444-8240
    Elder Abuse. Fraud. Class Actions

    This is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney if... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,518 answers this week

2,908 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,518 answers this week

2,908 attorneys answering