Credit Card Company and Written and Verbal Contracts

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I am being sued by a credit card company that has not sold the debt. I am in California. I had a verbal agreement with them in 2010 and they might have a contract I signed in 2002. Which agreement will be most valid in the courts eyes. Thanks for your help.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

12

Answered . There isn't enough information in your post regarding your 2010 verbal agreement. Did that verbal agreement replace or alter the terms of the 2002 written agreement ( if there was such a written agreement)? Much will depend upon the allegations of the complaint. What does the credit card company allege was the agreement, or does the complaint merely allege common counts?

2. Jeff Hoang Pham

8

Answered . There's not enough information in your post for anyone on this forum to give you an informed response. The answer will depend largely on the content of both agreements, and if/how each affected the other. For example, what did the 2002 agreement say, and was it amended by the 2010 agreement? Depending on the answers to these questions, it could be that one, both, or neither of the agreements are valid.

3. Constantine D. Buzunis

6

Answered . I agree with the other attorneys responses.

4. M. Todd Miller

4

Answered . No way they will sue you on an oral agreement. Would be too risky and cost too much. My bet is the written agreement.