Creating an online touring website

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

As an educator I am looking into creating an online tutoring company. I would be hiring other tutors for this website. Tutors would then create a profile on the website. They then would be able to have online instant messaging capabilities with potential students. There are other websites which have a similar business model. Is this a problem? I have formed a corporation and considering doing a trademark search. What other things should I consider? A concern that I have is if the student were to message a tutor and then ended up meeting in person. The websites purpose is online tutoring only.

1. Tim Bukher

2

Answered . Ideas such as methods and processes may be protected under patent law. However, in order to be eligible for patent, the method must be novel and non-obvious. This is something that a vast majority internet business ideas cannot achieve. For example, your idea would essentially combine instant messaging with a social networking website; this has been done many times and it is highly unlikely that anyone owns the patent on it.

Your most pressing concerns for this type of business are in the areas of privacy law and the drafting of your website's terms of use. If any of the students using your website are minors, then your website falls under the scope of the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) which, among other things, requires your terms of use to prohibit certain types of activities, attain parental consent during account registration, and other more detailed requirements. Likewise, your terms of use would serve to warn users about what they should and shouldn't do (e.g., do not meet in person), and therefore, ideally, disclaim your business from any harm that users do to each other (or themselves) when they engage in activities that your website expressly disclaims.

There are many other details to a properly drafted terms and privacy policy, especially for your type of business which seems to fall under specific legal regulations (unlike most other websites), so consultation with a qualified attorney in this area is highly recommended.

2. Frank Anthony Natoli

1

Answered . As my colleague pointed out, there are a number of concerns and it would be helpful to discuss your plans and objectives over in private with a lawyer so you can discuss everything in more detail. For example, the nature of your site's functionality will need to be determined before anyone can create the appropriate terms of use and privacy policies. I would also agree that being the site is intended to attract minors seeking a tutor (presumably) the PP needs to comport with COPPA guidelines, which is not a big issue of course.

Further, you have several different transaction to work out. You have to consider the agreement between you and your clients, the agreement between you and your providers and perhaps how the providers are interacting with the clients. We have several clients that have engaged in the same and similar endeavors.

I agree with your assessment about the trademark and this should be done upfront and in a comprehensive manner that includes both common and federal law (see link below for more on this process) to ensure you are not exposing yourself to potential problem later, usually when you do not expect it and only once you are gaining traction. while it is a smart idea to do your own preliminary searching, you should not rely on that alone.

You should also be setting up a proper liability shield as well such as an LLC or S-Corp to insulate yourself personally from the debts and obligations arising out of the business activity.

I will link you to some general helpful info below and suggest you reach out to several lawyers for some insights and so you can get a sense for how they work and charge, etc. Most of us here, including myself, offer a free phone consult, so consider taking advantage of that.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

3. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

Answered . Are You Planning on Opening a New E-Commerce Website?

There is much you need to know as you begin your new business. I suggest you do not attempt to write your own legal policies. This is not where your training and background lie, and though you are probably as smart as an attorney, you do not have their experience.

Below is a checklist for legal issues I use for new e-commerce clients.

1. Business Model – Is your idea viable as a web based business?
    2. Business entity - Are you going to be a C corp, an LLC or a sole proprietorship?
    3. Terms of Service - This is your contract with your visitors and is the most important item for any e-commerce site. A little work here brings big dividends in the future.
    4. Privacy Policy - Every e-commerce site needs a privacy policy!
    5. FTC guidlines - The FTC has been regulating business advertising for almost a century. All of their advertising guidlines apply to e-commerce sites.
    6. Domain Name issues? Is your name available. Can you create a Trademark?
    7. Trademark - Do you have a brand name free from conflict? Should you start with just common law rights? Should you register the mark, and when?
    8. Copyright - If it is on the web, it already belongs to somebody. Did you buy a license for the images you are using? Do you have a DMCA notice on your web site?
    9. Do you need a DMCA policy?
    10. Web Site security issues?
    11. Do you need and have an EIN? You can get that for free.
    12. Do you have employees? - If so you need written policies regarding their authority and use of the internet.
    13. Do you know the difference between a "browser wrap" and a "click wrap" and which do you need?

When I discuss this list with clients other issues arise. Finally, I always discuss with my clients their need for good accounting services. An accountant's advice as you start up can save you many dollars in tax that you might not save if you wait to speak to an accountant until your first tax return is due.

I hope this list will give you pause to think about those issues for which you might need to seek professional advice.

You may want to discuss your situation with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consultation.
    __________________
    Andrew M. Jaffe
    Attorney at Law
    Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law
    attorneyjaffe@aol.com
    330-666-5026 www.netlaws.us