CPT while transferring between schools? TAGS: Immigration, work permit, student visa, f-1 visa

San Diego, CA |

I'm in a PhD program in a school A and going to transfer to school B. I want to do an internship in between. My current school(A)'s summer is from June to September which is when I want to do my internship. School B's semester starts in August.

I plan to get CPT from school A and in the middle of summer ask school A to transfer my SEVIS (I20) file to school B but go to school B in October.

Are there any issues with this plan?

In short: Is it ok to transfer between schools while on CPT?

1. Not OK as far as I am concerned, but these are questions to ask your school's DSO or foreign student advisor, as they are familiar with these types of scenarios the best; we are not.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. You have a free resource in your school - the DSO. Ask the DSO. Use the resource, instead of asking complete strangers on AVVO a question that clearly falls within the DSO's scope of concern.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

3. Have you tried to speak to your school's DSO? They are usually a great resource to answer these types of questions.

This answer is not intended to replace a consultation with an attorney and does not create an attorney-client relationship.