CPS took my children and I lost my rights. Can I file an appeal?

Asked 12 months ago - Faribault, MN

My entire case was a mess. The foster parents were related to the Prosecuting attorney. The PA's assistant was a former EE of the judge and a friend to the caseworker who took my children. I did everything they asked and still lost my rights.

1. Maury Devereau Beaulier

3

Answered . Yes. You may appeal from final judgment. However, such an appeal is not simple and must be made within a specific time period (usually 60 days). You must retain counsel.

2. Michael J Corbin

2

Answered . If this is a recent occurance, then, yes, you certain can appeal. BUT, just because some people knew each other doesn't mean there was bias or that your matter was handled improperly. Frankly, in a small town like Faribault, it is next to impossible for you to not know someone or be a distant relative somehow. That, however doesn't PROVE bias. Your appeal will have to be made on the facts and the law - if your parental rights were terminated, there must have been a reason. You need an attorney ASAP.

3. Drake Daigoro Metzger

1

Answered . Appeals are very complicated and have very specific deadlines for certain events. If you miss a single deadline you risk waiving your rights to appeal at all. I suggest speaking with an experienced lawyer to fully evaluate your situation and advise you of your rights.

4. Tricia Dwyer

1

Answered . Hello. I am sorry that you lost your children. Yes, you may appeal. Appeals are quite complex and you face rigid time deadlines for action.

Minnesota licensed attorney